I never thought the day would come when I’d get fatherly inspiration from Homer Simpson, but there you go.
In Ivan Reitman’s No Strings Attached, Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher are fuck buddies who become — ta-da! — lovers. That’s hardly a new idea, but at 3:44 in the morning, who needs new ideas? I just want to see Natalie get down and dirty, yo.
Tomorrow: Crazy, Stupid, Love starring Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, and Emma Stone. Yeah. More rom-coms. It’s weekend and I need my fill of beautiful babes and happy endings. The week has been crazy and rough.
This one’s special, though, as it describes exactly how I feel with this political circus going on in the Senate. Yeah, I’m talking about the so-called Coronovela — the “historic” impeachment trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona. This made my job a living hell last week, and I shudder at the thought that this may go on for months. Months! Why can’t they just lynch Corona and be done with him?
But seriously, I don’t have a dog in this fight. Although I think Corona is not as clean as he wants us all to believe, I am also dubious at the real motivations of his accusers, particularly that bumbling set of fools they call the House prosecution team. It was fun watching them get whipped and humiliated by ex-Justice Serafin Cuevas, the 83-year-old lead defense counsel, during the first week of the trial.
What the hell. Working in the media for a more or less a decade now seems to have turned me into an unapologetic cynic. But so what?
Half a day has gone by since I underwent a particularly difficult tooth extraction procedure (it took the dentist almost an hour to pull the damn fucker out) and yet I’m still spitting thick globs of blood. I’ve no idea if this is normal or not, but I’m glad I’m feeling little to no pain (thanks, Mefenamic Acid), and hopeful that the bleeding will be gone in the morning. For the meantime, a steady diet of antibiotics and painkillers for the next three days is in order.
Anyway, other highlights of my vacation, which is sadly about to end in less than 48 hours:
- Finished reading “A Game of Thrones.” Still thinking on whether to proceed to “A Clash of Kings,” the second in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, or pick something else instead, a Kerouac or perhaps a Murakami, as some sort of a breaker;
- Started watching How I Met Your Mother (love it!). Also, two movies: It’s Kind of a Funny Story and Hall Pass. Enjoyed both;
- Hooked up with a college friend and drank Tanduay Ice in a sari-sari store while shooting the shit and admiring the gentle rain falling that time. Totally bromantic, dude;
- Replaced my two-year-old Nokia with a Samsung Champ, which I named Samsung “Sam” Pinto. It was supposed to be the Galaxy Y model, but some greedy capitalist bastard decided to jack up its price from Php5,700 last December to Php6,500 as of last Tuesday. I am still fuming like hell;
- Visited a sick aunt in San Juan with my mother, who can no longer travel long distance without a companion. The two hadn’t seen each other in more than a year, and I’m glad I made their reunion possible;
- Countless quality hours with Raven and Charmaine
… and some small things that, in one way or another, had contributed in making the past 10 days a meaningful stretch. On Sunday it’s back to the salt mines again for me, and with that the end of all things bright and beautiful.